Learn the secret of ‘E’ in French!
You will improve by 100%! guaranteed! Today, we will learn the secret of ‘E’ in French! What do I mean? Often vowels in spelling don’t match the sound you will make. Think of English words such as basically, chocolate, or every… Same in French…Sometimes the vowel ‘E’ is dropped…I call it the secret life of the letter ‘e’ or simply said I want to explain a few French rules today!
Alors déjà, un petit rappel: To start a little refresher:
– French vowels ALWAYS make the same sound
– French vowels are always short. We don’t have long and short, even if you see a cluster of two vowels together!- The letter ‘E’ always makes the sound ‘E’, like in Alone or Away. This is called ‘Schwa’ in phonetics
Let’s practice ! E, E — Cerise, lever, cheval, prenez
#1 – The letter ‘E’ sound like ‘é’ only if you see a little sign on it
First rule: The letter ‘E’ sound like ‘é’ only if you see a little sign on it. Listen to the différence ‘e’ …’é’
#2 – You don’t voice the vowel ‘E’ at the end of French words, but you voice the precedent consonant.
Let’s practice:- Baguette – You voice the T sound only when the vowel ‘E’ is added.
– France – You voice a ‘S’ sound because the letter ‘C’ makes a ‘S’ sound in front of E…
– Encore – You voice a ‘R’ sound and you don’t stress the ‘E’
#3 – Ignore the ‘E’ at the end of a word ending with the vowel ‘I’ or the letter ‘é’
Such as – Marie, you don’t voice the ‘E’ at the end although it is written
– Brie, you don’t voice the ‘E’ at the end although it is written
– Enchantée you don’t voice the ‘E’ although it is written
#4 –Within a word, the vowel ‘E’ is dropped, if preceded by a the pattern ‘consonant’ and followed by ‘consonant+vowel’
Commençons avec mon prénom…. Let’s start with my first name, the spelling does not match the pronunciation! I say “Sévrine’ when actually the spelling is SE VE RI NE. Severine – let’s study the pattern ‘V’ ‘E’ ‘RI’ – the E is dropped ‘SEV’RINE’
Samedi (Saturday) – Let’s study the pattern ‘M’ ‘E’ ‘DI’ – the E is dropped ”SAM’DI’
Doucement (softly)- Let’s study the pattern ‘C’ ‘E’ ‘ME’ – The E is dropped ‘DOUC’MENT
‘Boulangerie’ (Bakery)- Let’s study the pattern ‘G’ ‘E’ ‘RIE’ – The E is dropped ‘BOULANG’RIE’le ‘E’ is dropped, even in a string of detached words!!
– Est-ce que tu le promets ? (Are your promising it?) – the ‘E’ is softened in ‘LE’
– Je ne veux pas (I don’t want) Je n’veux pas-
Elle revient demain = in spoken French, le ‘E’ is dropped (she is coming back tomorrow)
– Je suis dans le bus (I am in the bus): in spoken French, le ‘E’ is dropped
If two consonants precede the letter ‘E’, then you have to voice it,
– Mercredi (Wednesday)
– Cheval (a horse)
And lastly (yes you made it!!!)or to avoid three consonants coming together
– le gouvernement
So now you know how to pronounce…. Au Revoir! Au Revoir ..
Voilà c’est la fin de cet épisode ! Now you know how to learn the secret of ‘E’ in French!
How did you find this episode? I hope it was a five-start experience for you. I really want to be helpful and share my knowledge with you. So if you want to help other listeners to discover my podcast, go ahead an leave a five star rating on Spotify (only in the app), Apple podcast, Deezer….
Here are easy step-by-step instructions for Apple Podcast:
How to leave an rating or review on an iOS device.
- Open the Podcasts app (the purple app)
- Choose “Search” from the bottom row of icons and enter ‘Speak French Avec Moi‘
- Select the show under Shows (not under Episodes)
- Scroll past the first few episodes until you see Ratings & Reviews
- Click “Write a Review” which is underneath the displayed reviews from other listeners.
- You’ll then have the option to do a rating on a 5-star scale, and also write a review if you choose (You don’t have time to write a review, just leave a five star rating.)
- From a Mac, just go to this address: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/french-podcast-speak-french-avec-moi/id1519867249
If you have any feedback about the quality of the episode (sound, pace, transcripts) show, feel free to reach out!
And if you are still reading, check this: I’ve put together a one-hour course FOR FREE just for you! You will speak French under one hour guaranteed! Try it! Find out more details by clicking on speakfrenchavecmoi.com.